Why you should consider interlock in Ottawa
If you’ve been thinking about revitalizing your landscape design in Ottawa, you might be faced with a tough decision, to use paving stone or not to use paving stone? While initial cost comparisons may tempt you towards the asphalt or cement route, here are a few reasons why interlock in Ottawa flat lines the competition:
Unlike asphalt and cement, paving stones are almost guaranteed not to crack. This is the result of several factors:
– The units themselves are extremely hard and dense.
– Properly installed paving stones will contain sifted sands that are used to help dispel any movements and shrinking. This helps reinforce the area as a whole and allows for a heavy load without any concern for breaking or buckling.
– Carefully placed joints align the stones and help reduce friction or vibrations, which can lead to wear and tear.
– The spaces in between the paving stones allow for better drainage and reduces the risk of any water permeating and comprising the materials.
– The sifted sand also allows interlock pavement to move with the ground, which is especially important in climates with extreme weather changes such as that of Ottawa, our fair city. Freezing and thawing causes the ground to expand and contract, which can be very damaging to less flexible surfaces and which is why interlock in Ottawa can be much more durable.
The combination of these factors creates a surface and landscape design in Ottawa that can be expected to last up to three decades or longer!
While many people think of interlock in Ottawa as a walkway option, it has also become an increasingly popular choice for driveways, patios, pool areas and garden decorations. With different textures, colours and sizes of stones, interlock stones provide an abundance of design options and often an elegant and sophisticated alternative to plain cement.
The durable nature of interlocking stones make maintenance less frequent and less likely as opposed to some other paving alternatives. Because interlocking stones rarely crack, the likeliness of crumbling or sinking is much lower. However, should any of the stones be damaged, the repair process is much simpler and cost effective. Seeing as paving stones are separate units, one bad stone doesn’t have to spoil the bunch – it can be replaced individually. In terms of routine maintenance, interlocking stones can be easily cleaned with a pressure washer and during the winter they can be plowed, shoveled and salted just like ordinary asphalt.
Although alternate paving options may seem more cost effective, it’s important to fully understand the benefits of each paving method before choosing what will most enhance your landscape design in Ottawa. However, if you’re looking for durability, versatility and simple upkeep – considering interlock in Ottawa might be right for you!